New Zealand dollar slides with US yields as markets price October RBNZ hike beyond guidance

by VT Markets
/
Oct 1, 2026

The New Zealand dollar tracked US bond yields through September, largely ignoring stronger Chinese data. China’s official services index printed at 50.2 versus a 49.3 forecast, and private services and factory gauges also beat expectations, yet NZD/USD still ended Wednesday lower. It logged a second consecutive close below 0.5650 and fell more than 4% over the month; resistance remains just above 0.5650, with 0.5700 capping every session since 23 September. Support is seen at 0.5600, just under Tuesday’s low and the weakest level since June, with 0.5550 next; Stoch RSI has stayed under 20 since mid-September and is near 9.

Policy pricing has shifted beyond the Reserve Bank of New Zealand’s projected path. The RBNZ lifted the Official Cash Rate to 2.75% on 2 September and projected a pause in October before a December hike, but markets price about an 80% chance of a move to 3% on 28 October. Even then, the OCR would sit 0.75 points below the bottom of the Fed’s 3.75–4.00% range, narrowing the gap from 1 point. ANZ’s business confidence eased to about 52 from 54, pricing intentions slipped to 48 from 51, consumer confidence was last 98, building permits rose 5.6% after a 4.3% July fall, and US payrolls are expected at 90K.

US Bond Yields and RBNZ Policy versus Market Expectations

We should continue to closely watch US Treasury yields, which have been the primary driver for the New Zealand Dollar over the past month. Despite stronger-than-expected services PMI data from China—New Zealand’s largest trading partner—the NZD/USD pair finished September down by over 4%. This persistent downward pressure suggests that local economic wins are being overshadowed by global fixed-income flows.

We see a clear disconnect between the Reserve Bank of New Zealand’s projected path and what the market is currently pricing for the October 28 meeting. Although the RBNZ’s September guidance signaled a pause at 2.75%, swaps are now pricing in an 80% chance of a hike to 3.00%. This aggressive pricing comes despite softening domestic business confidence and a dip in corporate pricing intentions.

Even if the RBNZ delivers this quarter-point hike in October, we must recognize that the yield gap favors the US Dollar, with the Federal Reserve’s benchmark rate sitting higher at 3.75% to 4.00%. This negative rate differential keeps the Kiwi structurally vulnerable regardless of local central bank hawkishness. Traders should realize that much of the potential RBNZ tightening is already baked into the current exchange rate.

Outlook, Risk Factors, and Technical Picture

Looking ahead, we recommend prioritizing upcoming US macro indicators, particularly the ISM manufacturing survey and Nonfarm Payrolls, as these will directly steer the US yields driving NZD/USD. While domestic data like building permits and consumer confidence offer local color, the upcoming New Zealand general election on November 7 adds an extra layer of political uncertainty. Consequently, global risk sentiment and US bond market directions will likely remain the dominant market forces.

From a technical perspective, we maintain a downward bias for NZD/USD as long as the pair remains capped below resistance at 0.5700. Immediate support rests at 0.5600, with a secondary target down at 0.5550 if selling pressure intensifies. Daily momentum indicators like the Stoch RSI remain deeply oversold below 20, but we would need a daily close above 0.5700 to abandon this short-biased outlook.

see more

Back To Top
server

Hello there 👋

How can I help you?

We're here to help

Chat with us

Start a live conversation through...

  • Telegram
    hold On hold
  • Coming Soon...

Hello there 👋

How can I help you?

telegram

Our Telegram app is currently under maintenance, we apologize for the inconvenience. For immediate assistance, please contact us via our website live support or by email at [email protected].